Saturday, February 28, 2015

Bridge is Done!

If you follow me on Google+, you may already know that I have been working on my first terrain project. I found instructions in a Games Workshop "How To Build Terrain" book on building a wooden bridge. I finally finished it and I think it looks pretty good!


Here is the How To:

First off, you will need a few tools and materials.

~X-acto Knife
~Adhesive (I used rubber cement, but I think a hot glue gun would have been easier)
~Balsa Wood
~Card Stock Paper
~Paint

You'll want to decide how big you want your bridge to be. Mine is only big enough to fit 2 miniatures side by side, but if you want your's larger, the process would be the same.



Once you decide what size of a bridge you want, cut the balsa wood in strips to mimic wooden boards. I don't think this type of bridge is supposed to look perfect, so I cut the strips uneven and crooked. 


After cutting the balsa, You would want to shaved off pieces from each board to create imperfections. This will make the bridge look like it was built by hand. Plus, it will also look much better when you go to dry brush.



Next, you glue the wood to a strip of card paper randomly to make the bridge look less uniform. You would want fold the ends of the bridge to the height you want it to be.


The last thing you have to do when building the bridge is add the posts. 

Once you have your bridge built, it's time to paint!
Here's how I added color:


I first painted the entire bridge black. I didn't think about it until after I started, but this step could easily have been completed with a layer of spray paint.


From there, I painted a layer of brown all over, not really worrying about making it look perfect. 


Then, I dry brushed a lighter brown over the entire bridge. I also did a very light dry brushing of white.


From there, I created a dark brown wash and applied it all over.


Last, I dry brushed another light layer to accent the features and created nice highlights.

If this is a project you were looking to do and need more information, feel free to reach out to me. I had lots of fun building my first piece of terrain and hope that this post will inspire others to try similar projects! 

2 comments:

  1. Good work and useful "How I do" !
    the result is perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Little Bridge. I`m into scratch building too. Beano Boy

    ReplyDelete