Sunday, January 18, 2015

Tricks I Learned With My Third

My third, and last miniature that I have finished so far is my favorite. Trust me, it is still far from perfect, but it is definitely the best one I have painted so far. This one is an orc that Drew was not planning on painting. I tried some new (to me) techniques that I feel made this mini better than the others. 



First, if you take a look at the banner, I wanted it to look raggedy and worn. To get that look, I first painted a base coat of dark red, followed by a slightly lighter red layer. I then proceeded to add a black wash to most of the banner. The last step was dry brushing the edges and where I felt there should be highlights. This is the first time I actually used dry brushing and to be honest it took a few attempts to figure out just how much paint needs to be on the brush for it to work. If done correctly, it can add quite a bit of detail to your painting!


Second, I started to use the appropriate wash! If you look at the bone on this figure, you will see what I mean when I say the appropriate wash. On my prior two figures, it is so easy to see that I stuck with the black was when I clearly should have used sepia. With the bone both on his banner and under his foot I did use sepia was and it made a world of difference! I love how it turned out!




Lastly, although it probably wasn't done the best way possible, I really like that I added rocks and the skull on the base. It makes it look remarkably better. I actually had to make him step on the skull otherwise he kept falling over. I was getting frustrated with it until Drew suggested the skull. I think it was a brilliant idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment